Thursday 27 September 2012

Pet Peeve Of The Week: You Look Sad

"Why So Sad?"

This statement drives me absolutely crazy. When I'm at work or shopping or whatever, I'm not walking around with a huge obnoxious smile on my face. But that doesn't mean that I'm "sad." No, it means that I'm not bursting with excitement or happiness. I'm just content. I'm normal. And I don't need people (it's usually strangers, right?) to point out that I look sad.

People say that I look "sad" or "unimpressed" a lot of the time. But the fact is, I'm not. This is just my face. See?

Honestly, that is just the way my face looks when I'm not smiling. I am not sad. In fact, I'm happy because I really love this scarf. If I walked around smiling all day people would think I was crazy. And my eyes get super squinty when I smile so I don't always like to smile in pictures.

But here's my real issue. What if I am sad? What if I am having a horrible day? Thank you for pointing it out. I know that no one really wants to hear reasons that I'm sad, so I'm clearly going to say, "Nope, not sad" even though my heart feels like it's being stabbed with an icicle (or something, I dunno) and I can barely hold back tears.

What if I just said, "Yeah, actually..." and burst into a story about all my life problems?

I'm a pretty private person. I don't like to tell people when I'm sad, or even when I'm happy, for that matter. I don't even like informing people that I'm a private person. This is maybe why I try to put the least amount of emotion on my face as possible most of the time.

You'll notice that right after you tell me I look "sad," that I don't want to talk to you anymore, and now, even though maybe it's not being shown on my face, I am mad.

This may not seem like a super reasonable pet peeve. People are trying to be sympathetic, blah blah blah. But the fact is, I get this all the time and it does get irritating. Its kind of upsetting in itself that so many people think that I'm a grumpy or unimpressed or sad person just because they think that I look "sad."



By the way, look for my Pet Peeve of the Week from now on! I have a lot of them! I'll try to post every Thursday, but I will make no promises.


No comments:

Post a Comment