Tuesday 2 October 2012

Sweatpants In Public


Most of the time, I have a strict dress code for myself: No sweatpants in public. (This has obvious exceptions ie. at the gym or the hospital. But I avoid the gym at all costs and I try to stay out of the hospital as well so this doesn't apply often.) However, lately I've been venturing to Tim Hortons while wearing sweat pants. Perhaps this is because I've found the best sweat pants ever? (No.) Or maybe I've become comfortable with myself and I don't care what other people think. (No.) Or maybe I'm just lazy and don't care. (Probably.) Either way, I've been thinking about the two sides of this argument: To sweatpant in public or not to sweatpant in public?

Note: PJ pants are not sweatpants and those should stay at home in all cases. See People of Walmart Dot Com please.

To Sweatpant

Who cares what you're wearing? Clothing isn't a crucial part of our lives. It's not necessity and so why should we focus so much time on it? Why should anyone else care what I'm wearing? Besides, these sweatpants are designer and they cost more than your car.

Not To Sweatpant

Everyone judges you by what they see (at first, anyway.) So if they see you wearing the same sweatpants you were wearing last night, they are going to get a negative opinion of you. (They're going to think you're disgusting.) They don't know how much those pants cost. It's all about first impressions. Isn't that the point of fashion?
And don't even get me started on the issues I have with guys walking around in sweatpants. I know that many ladies agree with me when I say that there's no way everything is under control in that situation.


So what's your opinion? Are you for or against public sweatpants? Take a second to take the poll on the side of this page.

An Afterthought On Yoga Pants

While I was writing I got thinking about "Lulus" and how girls seem to think that yoga pants can be used as regular pants and can in fact be a dressy article of clothing. This is ridiculous and I strongly believe that you should never wear yoga pants to a formal occasion. Yoga pants are a piece of exercise attire so its like a dude wearing his spandex bike suit to a classy dinner. Think about that for a second.



4 comments:

  1. It depends on where I'm going and what time it would be: ex. Midnight and onwards heading to the drug store = "give up on life pants" go time.

    Showing up to work in "give up on life pants" or yoga pants = A lazy ass who couldn't take two seconds to throw on a pair of jeans in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with the midnight run to the store thing. The only people you're going to see out and about at that time are going to be drunk or wearing sweatpants just like you.

      Delete
  2. Hmm. You make a strong argument, Alene Parr. However, in my opinion, I'm not sure I care. If sweatpants are worn in public, it is easy for anyone to deduce the reason. The rest of someone's outfit and whether or not they are wearing makeup (and then of course the type and amount), jewelry, et cetera can help you determine in they are or were headed to the gym, wanted to appear as if they are or were headed to the gym, or simply out and about sporting their favorite sweatpants. Then of course we must consider the sweatpants themselves; are they baggy/appear generic? Are they form fitting, with cute pockets and sash? Do they come down to the ankle or do they rest just below the knees? I suppose the point I'm trying to get across is that if you wear them right, and especially if you know how to be cute to begin with, then anyone can pull off wearing sweatpants in public. Well, obviously not anyone...yikes. Anyways,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up a lot of good points. There's obviously a lot of stuff to consider when we're talking about a super serious topic like this. Haha! I guess when it comes down to it it's all about what you want to wear personally. (And if you can pull it off.)

      Delete